Semi recessed wash basins have a striking and unique design which sets them apart from other wash basins.
They are visually interesting because part of the basin is hidden in the supporting countertop with the edges just above the level of the supporting surface.
These kinds of basins are usually paired with matching vanity units which allows for practicality, an elegant appearance and storage options. The projecting part adds to their functionality since it makes the taps easily accessible.
TOYO’s line of semi recessed wash basins includes versatile shapes, designs and patterns.
Advantages Of Semi Recessed Wash Basins
- They come in different shapes, styles and designs. You can find one to complement every kind of bathroom. There are contemporary style basins and traditional style basins. This versatility in style is a huge advantage.
- Semi recessed wash basins are very practical since they project slightly from the countertop. This makes the tap more accessible which facilitates easy washing.
- They have a simple installation procedure unlike many of the other fashionable or stylish wash basins available in the market.
- Semi recessed wash basins usually don’t require much countertop area. They can be installed on narrow countertops which makes them very space efficient.
- These basins are suitable with any benchtop material.
- There is less risk of the basin being damaged by water since the cut out is fully covered by the basin.
- Since they are partially sunk into the countertop or cabinet, you get extra storage and workspace without compromising on appearance.
Installation Of A Semi Recessed Wash Basin
- A semi recessed basin has a different installation procedure compared to normal wash basins, so make sure you know what you are doing if you are planning to install it on your own.
- Before installation, an opening cut should be made in the countertop and this should be according to the dimensions of the basin. For this reason, abstain from making any cuts until the wash basin arrives for exact measurement.
- The dimensions of the hole should be such that a portion of the basin is above the countertop when it rests in the hole.
- Position the basin in its location, mark the drain and the outer edge of the basin.
- Turn the wash basin upside down to let it rest on the counter.
- Apply a continuous bead of neutral cure silicone to the outer or recessed edge of the basin where it will attach to the countertop.
- Position the wash basin in the opening cut. Remove excess silicone if any, and let it dry for 24 hours.
- For installing the drain, you will need to disassemble it by removing the different parts like the friction washer, threaded tail piece and rubber sealing gaskets from the drain body.
- Reattach the tail piece to the drain body using thread sealant. Secure the rubber sealing gasket up the tail piece.
- Place the drain back in the drain hole. Position the gasket, friction washer and the lock nut.
- Make sure all the parts are fitted tightly and the drain is properly aligned.
- If you are unfamiliar with the installation procedure, hire an experienced plumber to do it for you.
Things To Consider Before Getting A Semi Recessed Wash Basin
There are a few things you need to consider before getting a semi recessed wash basin.
- You will need to consider the height of your vanity. Although semi recessed wash basins don’t sit too high, you have to make sure your vanity is not too tall otherwise it will be difficult to access the basin.
- Depending on how high your wash basin is, you might need a separate faucet which is tall enough for the water to fall into the basin.
- Majority of the time, a semi recessed wash basin can be installed on any countertop. In some cases if necessary, you might need to get a custom countertop to match the style of your wash basin.
- You will most probably be required to purchase your tap and waste individually.
- If you have no previous experience installing a semi recessed washbasin, it is highly recommended you get someone experienced to do the job for you.
Should You Go For A Semi Recessed Wash Basin?
Semi recessed wash basins have an ultra modern look which is clean, minimalist and elegant.
If you are someone who likes staying on top of the current design trends and prefer a simple and clean look, then this is the wash basin for you.
Although the installation procedure of semi recessed wash basins is not difficult, it can be tricky if you don’t have previous experience installing one.
You might have to call a plumber, so if that isn’t a problem for you, then freely go for this wash basin.
Semi recessed wash basins are available in a variety of patterns, colours and materials.
If you want flexibility in choosing a basin which goes with the style of your bathroom, a semi recessed basin is an ideal choice.