Orissa pans were some of the first toilets used in India.
Although they are considered to be very traditional and old fashioned, they are still used in many homes especially in Asian countries like India, Thailand and Asia.
This is because these squatting toilets offer many benefits which other kinds of toilets don’t offer.
TOYO has specially curated a line of orissa Pans with modern and sleek designs to complement the contemporary bathroom.
Orissa pans got its name because the plumbers in Odisha, a state in India, originally designed these kinds of toilets.
They were some of the first toilets to be widely used by the population since the defecating posture was the same as the one used while defecating in the open.
Compared to western toilets where you maintain a sitting position, in orissa pans you maintain a squatting position where you place one foot on each side of the toilet drain.
They can be constructed from a variety of materials like fibreglass, porcelain, stainless steel and ceramic.
Advantages of Orissa Pans
Since the structure of orissa pans are entirely different from other toilets, they have some unique advantages.
- These kinds of toilets are considered to be more hygienic than other kinds. This is because there is no contact of the body with the toilet which minimises the chance of infections.
- There is less risk of water backsplash during defecation.
- The defecation posture which is used helps in easier and faster bowel evacuation since it relaxes and opens the rectal muscles. It also helps build the pressure required for smooth evacuation.
- Squatting helps reduce the risk of many diseases like endometriosis, diverticulosis, piles, appendicitis, hiatus hernia and prostate disorders.
- Orissa pans help conserve water since they use less water than western toilets.
- These toilets are great for pregnant women since they exert less pressure on the uterus. The squatting position which is practiced daily also aids in the delivery process.
- Helps you increase your flexibility and builds strength in your calves, thighs and ankles. You also learn how to stay in balance.
- Minimises the chances of contaminating the small intestine since the ileocecal valve is blocked temporarily.
- They are more affordable compared to other kinds of toilets.
- Orissa pans are easy to clean and maintain.
Installation Of Orissa Pans
- Measure the dimensions of your orissa pan.
- Mark an outline on the floor according to the measured dimensions.
- You will need to install a few parts of the toilet below the floor which will require you to remove the floor carefully but make sure you keep all the tiles intact. A power saw can be utilized for this step.
- Secure the orissa pan in the hole you have made in the floor. The drain on the pan should be lined up with the drainpipe in the floor. After this, connect the drain pipe to the drain hole. Use appropriate sealant for a strong connection and in order to avoid water leaks.
- Restore the floor you have removed. You can replace the pieces using extra strong bonding adhesive. Seal with waterproof floor sealant.
- If you are unsure on how to install the toilet, have an experienced plumber do it for you. Improper installation can create a lot of problems in the future, so make sure you know what you’re doing if you are planning to install it by yourself.
How To Use An Orissa Pan
- If you are a beginner, you might have to remove your pants while using a squatting pan the first few times. Once you get used to it, you will learn how to use it with your pants on and make a few adjustments accordingly.
- It is advisable to empty your pockets before you use the toilet. If you have any valuables inside, it could end up falling out which can lead to a difficult situation.
- Place one foot on each side of the toilet and line yourself directly over it.
- Go into a deep squat. If this is difficult for you, squat halfway and hug your knees for support.
- After you are done, make sure you clean up properly. Usually, bathrooms with orissa pans don’t provide you with tissue paper since water is usually used for cleaning up. You might find a bucket of water with a mug or a jet spray. However if you use an orissa pan in your home, you can clean up in your preferred way.
Should You Get An Orissa Pan?
- Orissa pans are very inexpensive compared to other kinds of toilets. If saving money is important for you and all you need is a basic toilet, orissa pans are a great choice.
- These toilets are easy to clean and maintain so if you don’t want to deal with the hassle of difficult maintenance procedures, go for these.
- They have unique health benefits which you can take advantage of.